My first book was an introspective work about altered and expanded states of consciousness, titled ‘Hearts in Transcendence‘ (self-published, 2016). I also edited a volume about out-of-body experiences (OBEs) and accounts of body/self separation titled ‘Consciousness Beyond the Body‘, 2017, which explores empirical accounts of consciousness beyond the physical self. Due to copyright issues, my honours dissertation ‘Potential variables associated with out-of-body experiences (OBEs)‘, 2011, and doctoral thesis ‘Proneness and methodological factors in body ownership illusions‘, 2016, are not available to download, but a summarised version of results and findings is accessible.
Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. – Isaac Asimov
Blogging and such
From time to time I maintain a personal blog on this website. I also write for popular blogs internationally and within Australia, including The Conversation. While I mostly write about altered states of consciousness, perceptual integration, and the phenomenal nature of self, I also delve into a range of other applied psychology and philosophy topics.
Due to copyright issues, links to the below papers were removed. In spite of this, I strive to publish in Open Access journals, meaning that, you can locate many of the papers below via a simple database search, even if you are not affiliated with an academic institute.
- De Foe, A. and Kalla, M. 2016, ‘Formative impacts of psycho-spiritual experience: A preliminary questionnaire investigation’, in Journal of Exceptional Experiences and Psychology, JEEP, United States, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 37-47 ISSN: 2327-428X
- De Foe, A. 2014, ‘A state cultivation model’, in Journal of Exceptional Experiences and Psychology, Journal of Exceptional Experiences and Psychology, United States, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 14-21 ISSN: 2330-1376
- De Foe, A. van Doorn, G. and Symmons, M. 2013, ‘Floating sensations prior to sleep and out-of-body experiences’, in Journal of Parapsychology, Rhine Research Center, United States, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 271-280 ISSN: 0022-3387
- De Foe, A. van Doorn, G. and Symmons, M. 2012, ‘Auditory hallucinations predict likelihood of out-of- body experience’, in Australian Journal of Parapsychology, Australian Institute of Parapsychological Research Inc., Australia, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 59-68 ISSN: 1445-2308
- De Foe, A. 2012, ‘How should therapists respond to client accounts of out-of-body experience?’, in International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, Floraglades Foundation, United States, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 75-82 ISSN: 1321-0122
- De Foe, A. van Doorn, G. and Symmons, M. 2012, ‘Research note: Induced out-of-body experiences are associated with a sensation of leaving the body’, in Australian Journal of Parapsychology, Australian Institute of Parapsychological Research Inc., Australia, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 177-185 ISSN: 1445-2308